Author Topic: false L144's & ancistrus sp (4)  (Read 212 times)

Offline Hood

• King Of Bling!!
  • Administrator
  • Fishies from da Hood!!
    • Oz Fish For Sale
false L144's & ancistrus sp (4)
« on: November 17, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »
I've been reading up on these guys the real rundown on exactly what the L144 is here:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=2487

L144 is a one off import - the one male fish that came from Paraguay was at the time bred together with females imported at the same time, and then crossed back to their own siblings to lock the genetic defect that causes the yellow colour. These fish died out in the late 1990s as far as anyone can tell. The fish that is now sold as L144 is a different form, most likely based on Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus. This form resembling L144 can be found under as Ancistrus sp(4).

So that leads us to Ancistrus sp(4)being the actual plecs being sold as L144
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=905

Similar to the more common albino Ancistrus but with black eyes. Generally inaccurately sold as Ancistrus sp. L144. The true L144 is a different species imported from Paraguay.

So it would seem the fish traded as L144 the world over is actually a leucistic variation of a form of bristlenose. Much like red zebra cichlids or tangerine peacocks etc.
I also note they have no spotting like albino's or commons etc.
This then lead me to a thought. My calico's don't have spotting like common's or albino's or long fins or silver tips etc. etc. Could this mean that the calicos we have actually have more in common with these false L144's than they do with the common or albino's?
Being that I have read that L144's will sometimes throw offspring with splotches (like tangerine peacocks throwing fry which have some dark splotches (OB?) fry)this would seem logical to me that calico's came from this leucistic mutation, much like we observe with other leucistic species of fish.
I have not been able to find concrete evidence for this observation yet, but just putting my thought process out there. :)

Love to hear from anybody out there who could chime on this anymore too.