Author Topic: White Spot Treatment with Heat?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline gsipj58

• nOOb
White Spot Treatment with Heat?
« on: July 25, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »
Hi Y'all again. My little guys have been going swimmingly (!) until now. I bought them a heater recently because of the cold weather. I left it set at the factory setting, approx 22-24 I think, until last week when I turned it down to minimum, approx 20. I don't want them to freeze, hence the heater, nor do I want to cook them which is why I turned it down. I have noticed however that since I did they have got a couple of very small white patches developing. I added a bit more sea salt and it's a little better. I've tested the water for all the usual levels and all is well. I change the water every two weeks and clean the filter every week. Yes I adjust everything as necessary.

I would like to know firstly what is the best temperature to set it on, after all they are only Blackmoors which are a cold water fish. And secondly if I just put it back up to 22-24 will this be enough to get rid of the white spot, and is that not too hot for my fish?

Thanks guys

Sue

Offline Mr_docfish

• Aquarium Online Store
Re: White Spot Treatment with Heat?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »
the low 20s are the best for all goldfish
whitespot treatment requires more than 30C (31-32 is ideal) but not ideal for goldfish.... and some medications that contain formalin/formaldehyde, are not good in high temps due to the lack of oxygen at those temps... formaldehyde lowers the oxygen also on its own - so dont mix the two methods if you can help it.... most other medications will be fine at that temp, but I dont recommend it (salt is fine).

Offline pauls

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »
just goes to show everyone can learn more about fish keeping, while I am well aware of the oxygen level reduction at higher temps, I was not aware of the heat/formalin/oxygen issue with goldfish, so many thanks Ollie. This could explain some issues I have had in recent times using a new formalin based ws treatment on my goldies, I will switch meds for them in the future.
 What ws remedy are you guys using at aquotix for the store tanks?.

Offline Mr_docfish

• Aquarium Online Store
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
We have two - the one we mix ourselves (Spot Stop) which is salt and malachite based - but comes with extras - based on the Jungle Guard product - safe to use with nearly all fish.
The other is a new one we have imported as a sample - malachite free for the EU market (contains similar dyes and Chinese herbal extracts) - it is a liquid form that will attract those who dont want to add any salt - ask for either one of these over the counter.

Cheers
Oliver

Offline gsipj58

• nOOb
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »
I knew I could count on you two! I put the heater up to 24 over two days, took out the filters and dosed it with Fungus Cure.  I always have an airstone going overnight, so oxygen should have been OK. Three days was up yesterday and I put the filters back in, and they look OK now. Will keep an eye on them and if I need to re-dose I shall have to get some new meds.

Thanks

Sue

Offline Chris

• :)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »
Hi Sue,

You shouldn't really need a heater at all with goldfish. Mine are outside in a pond all winter and do fine. A lot places where they are kept outside get down to freezing (of course, the water doesn't freeze). I would suggest keeping the temp around 20-22 as Paul said, which is approximately room temperature. Increasing the temp will increase their metabolism, which increases the amount of food they need and waste they produce. Having a heater is only going to use unnecessary power, increase feeding and waste and evaporation and if they go on the fritz, will cook all the fish.

The bigger issue for them is the heat. In the middle of summer, make sure that you have heaps of aeration in the tank and maybe aim a fan across the top of the surface. You will need to top off the tank regularly too, as the evaporation will increase a lot by doing this.
Looking for: Discus, Apistos, Rams (Neon Blue esp)

Offline gsipj58

• nOOb
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »
Thanks Chris. I really only got them a heater to spoil them. After all if it's too cold for me to want to get out of bed I can't imagine how they must feel living in the water! I will turn it down to 22 again once I'm sure they're OK. Summer isn't too bad - they are in a room that has an air conditioner. No it doesn't go directly on the tank, it's around the corner. Also I have in the past had some success in cooling the water by floating bottles of ice in the tank.

Kind Regards

Sue

Offline Mr_docfish

• Aquarium Online Store
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »
Chris is right for most common Goldies out there - but for those "special" ones from overseas, particularly the ones from Thailand, they do better at temps above 15 and below 26.... stable water temps is prob more important - too much fluctuation is a catalyst for problems - at the shop, we have a heater in the the system all year round, set to 19C - only turns on for a few hours in the coldest part of winter during and after water changes.  The local bred stuff that can handle the colder water better appreciate the conditions in the same system, but dont need it.

Offline gsipj58

• nOOb
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
Sorry to drag this old chestnut out again, but I am still having problems. I have tried everything, and the book I got (see other post) is very good, but still doesn't give me exactly what I see. My fish do not seem to have any of the behavioural changes mentioned, like rubbing themselves on anything, or hanging at the top or bottom of the tank alone, they just get fungus along their bodies, not in spots, their fins are not shredding. I'm wondering now if there is a bacterial burden in my tankwater from debris, bird droppings etc, that is not being fixed with the salts, pH adjustments etc before I use it in the fish tank. Can anyone out there test for this, or know of anywhere I can send a sample to see if there is anything in it that is detrimental to fish? 

Kind Regards

Sue

Offline gsipj58

• nOOb
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 07:09:29 AM »
Just leaving an update. I lost one last night. When I pulled him out he had small haemorraghes, like freckles, down both sides of his body. Nowhere else and he was not stuck on a filter inlet. I'm hoping this is a clue to help clarify the problem.

Kind Regards

Sue

Offline pauls

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:05:32 AM »
you may  just be  getting some damage from  spawning. Goldfish  breed when  the temp increases by a  few degrees,when this happens the males chase the females mercilessly, biting at the anal  fin which stimulates the females into dropping eggs. when  several males are involved a  female can  end up with  ripped fins &  damage on  the sides  &  lower  rear areas - often appearing  like bleeding spots or streaks. This is  very hard on  the girls & losses  may occur due to damage & build up of lactic acids.